Festival Preview: Eaux Claires
Sometimes the ATH crew ventures beyond the Live Music Capital and gets to experience rad festivals. Last summer, I had the pleasure of traveling to Barcelona for Primavera Sound, and while Spain may not be on the horizon for me this summer, Wisconsin is. In a few short weeks, we’ll be hitting the grounds of the first ever Eaux Claires festival, the love child project of Justin Vernon (Bon Iver/Volcano Choir) and Aaron Dessner (The National). While we’ll give you updates live from the festival so you can live vicariously through us and figure out which acts you need to see when they make their way through our neck of the woods, you can read on for the top five things we’re looking forward to about the inaugural festival.
1. The Lineup, duh. I mean, have you taken a look at it? Not only does this festival offer sets from Indie Giants like Bon Iver, The National, and Spoon, but gives us a bit of a mix of all genres across the board.
2. The Art. Where else do you get to experience multiple art installations throughout the grounds as well as performance art pieces from the likes of Ragnar Kjartansson? I’m excited to see the special, all encompassing experiences that they have in store for festival goers.
3. The Location. Nestled along the Chippewa River, Eaux Claires will surely offer scenic ambience in addition to the art and music.
4. Not Dying From The Texas Heat. Highs in the low 80’s and lows in the high 50’s? Are we going to Wisconsin or Heaven?? While we would never dream of a festival in the middle of July down in Austin, the Wisconsin weather seems perfect for a few days of sunshine and music.
5. Camping. With tolerable weather and a beautiful lakeside setting, camping will surely add another level on to the whole experience. Not only is it a complete immersion into the festival, but also treated to campground performances on Thursday only available for campers.