Nathan’s Top Austin Albums of 2018
In the year’s end, those who “write” about music claim our superior tastes by spouting off about our favorite releases. I figured I should start off all the shenanigans with a list from our home base, Austin, Texas. Below you’ll find a list of my favorite releases from the confines of our fair city.
Let it be known that we released albums by Marmalakes, Feverbones and David Israel (and an EP by Blushing), but those will not make this list for the sake of favoritism…though they’d all obvious take the top spot…duh.
Lists are subjective, so don’t get mad that that one friend of yours released a killer LP and I’m not giving it any love. I’m sure it’s great, but this is my list! I even threw in some “bubbling under” nods, in case you wanted my list to go to 15. And if you want to argue with me about Borzoi being number one…then comment below. Playlist attached for your listening enjoyment. That’s why we’re here, right?
Bubbling Under: Grivo – Elude, Carson Mchone – Carousel, Pastel Ghost – Ethereality, Lola Tried – s/t, RF Shannon – Trickster Blues
10. PR Newman – Turn Out (Self-Released)
9. Exhalants – s/t (Self-Sabotage)
8. Molly Burch – First Flower (Captured Tracks)
7. The Lovely Sparrows – Shake the Shadow (Abandoned Love Records)
6. Hovvdy – Cranberry (Double Double Whammy)
5. Single Lash – Providence (Holodeck)
4. Caroline Says – No Fool Like an Old Fool (Western Vinyl)
3. Tres Oui – Poised to Flourish (Shrimper)
2. Sun June – Years (Keeled Scales)
1. Borzoi – A Prayer for War (12XU)