Saturday’s lineup was feeling a bit weak as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, but I soldiered on and ended up having a great day. Despite being first, I still contend that FIDLAR was the most rock and roll we got in any 45 minute slice at ACL this year. Come at me, I’ll argue it and win. The “Sweater Song” done with meows for the verses? Can’t beat that. It was also home to the most legit beer-throwing. After that, I chased music and photos equally ending the night with a brief amount of deadmau5‘s crazy stage setup in the viewfinder and a stroll through the Waterloo Records tent. My real headliner was TV on the Radio; such a great set and about the best we have seen from the band in years – concise and on point. In between, we have Ryn Weaver, Glass Animals, Houndmouth, locals Sounds Del Mar, a very solid set from Unknown Mortal Orchestra and a revisit of Jose Gonzalez.
Click through and get lost in the memories…
So, let’s start with the photo portion of our ACL coverage. I have a confession; I sold my soul to take photos of the Foo Fighters. Yes, I signed a release. If the Foo people read this, please try to keep up to your end of the bargain and leave the watermark for ATH and send a little credit our way “as allowed”. I’ll probably never check if you guys use my pics, but be nice.
The Friday edition of photos starts with Avers and ends with the Foos, Son Little, Royal Blood, London Souls, Albert Hammond Jr., Billy Idol, Run The Jewels and Tame Impala in between.
Click through and gaze…
Click that big top banner for tips from our experience last weekend.
We now know that Weekend One festival goers won the weather lottery. We dodged the forecasted rain, but it will be hot as hell with record setting temperatures on Sunday and don’t get me started about the ragweed forecast. My face is gonna hurt. I’ll be chasing photos; the true glamour of festival photography is shooting three, running to the next pit and waiting.
I do think this lineup is better than last weekend, especially on Saturday. Why? It comes down to added variety, added ATH approved jams and some rock and or roll.
- Avers – My first band today did a fun interview with ATH during SxSW. Get silly early with me. Friday, Homeaway @ 11:30
- Riders Against The Storm – Support the locals for this one. Best fusion band, but… Saturday, Austin Ventures @ 11:45
- FIDLAR – Cuz, fuck it dog, life’s a risk. Most punk thing at ACL, prolly. Saturday, Miller Lite @ 12:00
- Sounds Del Mar – More locals, a bit of a mashup group. This video rules. Saturday, BMI @ 4:30
- Modest Mouse – Yeah, saw them at FFF, they’re back. Saturday, Honda @ 6:20
- Knifight – Replacing Night Drive, these guys will go dark early. Sunday, Austin Ventures @ 11:45
- Beat Connection – ATH faves and I want to hear my summer jam cuz it is gonna be summer hot. Sunday, Homeaway @ 12:00
- Florence + The Machine – Ya know, they are gonna be a good way to walk out on a hot damn day. Sunday, Samsung @ 8:30
We’re about a week away from the first weekend of ACL, and that means that you should be getting your schedules hammered down. While it may seem still a ways off in your mind, Sunday of the first weekend looks like it’s shaping up to be one of the strongest days lineup-wise and so it’s important to get properly excited. One of these acts come late in the day towards the end of the weekend, but his set is bound to be one of the best of the weekend. Read more about why you should catch Kurt Vile and The Violators on the Austin Ventures Stage at 5:30 on Sunday evening.